Where Are They Now? Sustainability Steward Sofia Taylor

Meet Sofia Taylor ‘20, a former Sustainability Steward who is currently a Ph.D. student at the University of Wisconsin-Madison researching the environmental and social context surrounding the electrical grid.

How has your experience with the Sustainability Stewards influenced your personal or professional pursuits?

As a member of the Stewards Energy Group, I had my first experience with solar energy implementing small-scale solar PV installations. This had a strong influence on my choice of research area in graduate school, which is power systems. Now, my work involves electric grid modeling, including the use of distributed renewable energy resources to promote social equity and increase resilience to climate change impacts.

What advice would you give to current or future sustainability leaders based on your experience?

If you’re interested in graduate school, a good first step is to reach out to (and follow up with) professors that work on problems that you’re interested in. Many research groups are looking for undergraduate interns. Undergraduate research is a great way to develop writing, presentation and technical skills. The flexible work schedule is great too!

What’s your favorite memory as a Sustainability Steward?

I was a huge fan of the solar-powered waffles outreach event that we put on during my last year as a Steward — so much so that I’m organizing the same event at UW-Madison this semester!

Where Are They Now?

Meet Former Sustainability Stewards