NC State prepares students and innovations for a more sustainable world.
Education about sustainability equips students to solve complex social, environmental and economic challenges that the future holds. NC State is the only university on the East Coast that has colleges and academic departments focusing on agriculture, natural resources, earth sciences, marine sciences, atmospheric sciences, engineering, landscape and architectural design, management, education, economic policy and social sciences. Simply put – sustainability is inherently part of our university’s curriculum.
STUDENTS AND SUSTAINABILITY | More
Five Ways To Get Involved In Sustainability On Campus
Welcome students! No matter your future career path, you can get involved in sustainability on campus.
Leading Sustainable Change
Three graduating students in the NC State Stewards program leave behind a legacy of sustainability impact.
Winning Design Selected for SolarSpace
A new solar-powered outdoor space on campus is now one step closer to completion with a winner selected in the student design competition.
HIGH IMPACT EDUCATION
Not all learning happens in a classroom. Live on campus in the sustainability-themed EcoVillage. Take a semester to study ecology along the N.C. coast or study abroad. Become a better leader through Leadership and Civic Engagement or serve others through a sustainability-focused Alternative Service Break trip. Innovate in the lab through undergraduate research opportunities or build a business with help from the Entrepreneurship Initiative and Social Entrepreneurship Initiative.
NC State researchers solve serious sustainability challenges.
Our faculty, students and partners work across disciplines to address problems impacting the environment, economy and society. NC State is innovating in sustainability-related areas, including energy, transportation, materials, human health, economic solutions and policy.
Sustainability-Related Research Centers and Partners
- Advanced Transportation Energy Center (ATEC)
- Biomanufacturing Training and Education Center (BTEC)
- Future Renewable Electric Energy Delivery and Management Systems Center (FREEDM)
- Institute for Emerging Issues
- Department of Environmental and Molecular Toxicology
- Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering
- Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
- Center for Environmental and Resource Economic Policy
- Center for Environmental Farming Systems (CEFS)
- Center for Marine Sciences and Technology
- Center for Turfgrass Environmental Research and Education
- Poole College of Management Business Sustainability Collaborative
- North Carolina Sea Grant College Program
- State Climate Office of North Carolina
- Southeast Climate Science Center
- Southeast Regional Climate Hub
- Water Resources Research Institute
- Energy Council
- NC Clean Energy Technology Center
- Sustainable Cities Research Consortium
NC State applies sustainability knowledge to improve lives.
As a land-grant university, NC State has hundreds of outreach programs that leverage the academic resources of the university. By partnering with our faculty and students, you can find solutions that can improve the sustainability of the people, businesses, and communities in North Carolina.
Infuse sustainability into your career through the Sustainable Forestry Teacher's Experience, NC Clean Energy Technology Center workshops and certificate programs, Natural Resources Leadership Institute, and Manager of Environmental Health and Safety Certificate.
Industry and Community
The Industrial Extension Service (IES) supports N.C. businesses by increasing productivity, efficiency and quality. North Carolina Cooperative Extension delivers unbiased, research-based information to N.C. citizens. Poole College of Management Business Sustainability Collaborative helps businesses and leaders succeed. People First Tourism connects local entrepreneurs with travelers. Natural Learning Initiative promotes the importance of nature in daily lives of children.