April is Earth Month at NC State. This month-long emphasis on the planet, sustainability and how you can make the world a better place is hosted by NC State’s Sustainability Council and University Sustainability Office. To celebrate the 50th anniversary of Earth Day, we anticipated having around 50 sustainability-related events on campus this month. Though those plans changed due to COVID-19, Earth Month continues through a digital platform.
FOLLOW NC STATE SUSTAINABILITY
All month long for Earth Month ideas and news
FOLLOW NC STATE RECYCLES
All month long for Earth Month ideas and news
Try these tips this month to boost sustainability:
- Hit the light switch to save energy.
- Cycle safe.
- Eat fresh food and support local farmers.
- Equip your car for the best fuel efficiency.
- Get moving for your physical and mental health.
- Turn off the tap when water isn’t in use.
- Use reusable cups instead of disposable cups.
- Clean out your closet and donate or recycle items you don’t use.
- Stay hydrated with water.
- Swap out light bulbs for energy efficient versions, such as LEDs.
- Shop at farmer’s markets for local food.
- Purchase less by creating DIY products (look online for ideas and recipes).
- Reduce your use of disposable shopping bags.
- Reduce food waste by cleaning your plate.
- Recycle to give new life to discarded products.
- Buy used to save money and reduce resource use.
- Reduce your water footprint.
- Give back to a local charity.
- Save water by taking shorter showers.
- Walk more to reduce emissions and improve your health.
- Grow your own food in your backyard or plant containers.
- Happy Earth Day. Do something to celebrate the planet.
- Fix leaks fast to save water.
- Opt for eco-friendly laundry: wash in cold water or hang items to dry.
- Drive less to reduce emissions and air pollution.
- Adjust computer display settings to save energy.
- Buy in bulk to reduce packaging waste.
- Pull the plug on electronics not in use in order to save energy.
- Go paperless to reduce paper waste.
- Eat produce that’s in season.
Wednesdays in April
The Nature Experience (Virtual Event)
Wednesdays at 12 p.m. EST
The Nature Experience is a space for students that provides a daily dose of time outside, which research has proven to be beneficial to overall well-being. It’s also a chance to connect with others and a time to be mindful. Learn more
Sponsored by the NC State Prevention Services
Thursdays in April (beginning 4/16)
Energy That Works Career Chats
Thursdays at 1 p.m. EST
Weekly video chats will include interactive discussions with speakers sharing their personal academic and work experiences. The audience will also have the opportunity to ask the speaker questions through an online chat. Learn more
Sponsored by the NC Clean Energy Technology Center
NC State Earth Fair (Online Resource)
Goes live on Earth Day
The virtual version of NC State’s Earth Fair comes online just in time for Earth Day. Learn about sustainability-related organizations and how you can get involved.
Sponsored by the University Sustainability Office
Earth Day Every Day Instagram Contest
Students in ES 100: Introduction to Environmental Science made small changes to their lifestyles that could have a big impact. To share what they learned, they are invited to post their final projects to Instagram, using the hashtags #NCStateES100 and #NCStateES100. Search the hashtags and like your favorites.
Compost Facility and Research Cooperative Virtual Tour
10 a.m. – 11 a.m.
Take a virtual tour of our on-campus Compost Facility and Research Cooperative. Led by Waste Diversion Coordinator Adam Bensley and Compost Site Manager Matt Ball, this online “tour” is a great time for you to learn how NC State closes the loop for organic waste management. RSVP For The Zoom Link
Sponsored by Waste Reduction and Recycling
B Corps Clinic Final Presentations (Virtual Event)
10:30 a.m. – 12 p.m.
Join the NC State for the final presentations of the Spring 2020 B Corp Clinic, a program designed to connect students to purpose-driven companies to help them improve their impact. Learn More and RSVP
Sponsored by the Poole College Business Sustainability Collaborative
Vermicomposting Workshop (Virtual Event)
2 p.m. – 3 p.m.
Join Rhonda Sherman from NC State Extension as she walks us through the amazing connection between worms, waste, and sustainability. Learn More and RSVP
Sponsored by NC State Recycles
Navigating Ethics, Leadership and Sustainability (Virtual Event)
1 p.m. – 2 p.m.
This workshop is designed to explore the intersectionality of leadership, sustainability, and ethics. Learn more
Sponsored by the Leadership and Civic Engagement