Applications for fall 2019 will be accepted later this semester. Check back for more information or contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Supported by the University Sustainability Office, NC State Stewards are sustainability student leaders, moving NC State to a brighter, stronger and more sustainable future. NC State Stewards promote sustainable practices among their peers and the community through workshops, presentations and campus events. But most importantly, NC State Stewards are role models, inspiring campus to consider the impact that personal decisions have on the environment, community and the future. View the Stewards Video
The NC State Stewards program mission is to fulfill the vision of a more sustainable campus, community and world by encouraging individuals to adopt more sustainable practices. NC State Stewards are trained to promote sustainable actions on campus and among their peers so that environmental, social and economic responsibility is cultivated at NC State and beyond. Our goals are to:
- Educate the NC State community about social, economic and environmental responsibility.
- Inspire behavior change through peer-to-peer interaction
- Help the university to achieve carbon neutrality by 2050 through support and implementation of tactics outlined in the Sustainability Strategic Plan
- Facilitate the leadership and professional development of Steward participants
Become a Steward
Applications are accepted during the spring semester for the following academic year. A limited number of Stewards are accepted during an October application period that is open to first-year and transfer students.
- Must be a full or part time graduate or undergraduate student at NC State University.
- Must be able to participate for 1 full academic year (Fall 2016-Spring 2017).
- Participate for the full academic 2018-2019 school year.
- Attend weekly group meetings.
- Attend monthly one-on-one meetings with the Program Coordinator and Student Coordinator.
- Attend fall retreat in August and mid-year retreat in January.
- Actively participate in educational presentations, tabling events and volunteer opportunities.
Recognition for the NC State Stewards
Winner, 2016 NC State Green Brick (Innovation Impact Award) for the Stewards’ Waste Reduction Committee
Winner, 2016 City of Raleigh Environmental Awards (Organization Award)
Winner, 2016 NC State L.E.A.D. Awards (Organization of Distinction Award)
Second Place, 2016 National Association of College Auxiliary Services Student Author Contest
Provide dozens of campus presentations and outreach events annually
Facilitate annual Tri-Towers Energy and Water Challenge
Started and manage campus plastic bag Recycling program
Led effort to remove plastic bags from campus stores and dining locations
Coordinated installation of solar umbrellas and solar bus stop on campus
Current NC State Stewards
Extension Education and Agroecology
Biological and Agricultural Engineering
Paper Science and Engineering, Chemical Engineering
Environmental Sciences and Marine Sciences
Fashion and Textile Management
Martina Gonzalez Bertello
Environmental Technology and Management
Chemical and Textile Engineering
Sustainable Materials and Technology