NC State Stewards
Students promoting sustainability on campus.
Applications Closed March 31 for Stewards Program for Academic Year 2021-2022. The next application period is in spring 2022.
Supported by the University Sustainability Office, NC State Stewards are sustainability student leaders, moving NC State to a brighter, stronger and more sustainable future.
The mission of the NC State Stewards is to fulfill the vision of a more sustainable campus, community and world by encouraging individuals to adopt more sustainable practices. NC State Stewards are trained to promote sustainable actions on campus and among their peers so that environmental, social and economic responsibility is cultivated at NC State.
what we do
NC State Stewards host workshops, presentations and campus events. The Stewards meet weekly to form and work on teams charged with creating and implementing sustainable initiatives for the campus. The Stewards are unpaid positions that are supported by the University Sustainability Office with access to university resources.
Parks, Recreation, and Tourism Management
Nuclear Engineering & International Studies
Electrical Engineering, Renewable Electric Energy Concentration
Agroecology & Sustainable Food Systems
Agricultural Business Management
Sustainable Materials and Technology
Sustainable Materials & Technology
Political Science and Parks, Recreation and Tourism Management
Industrial Design and Business
Fisheries, Wildlife, and Conservation Biology
Paper Science Engineering & Chemical Engineering
Become a Steward
We will be accepting applications again in Spring 2021.
The Stewards program works to develop and help its participants both professionally and personally. The following qualifications make strong candidates for this program:
- Must attend weekly meetings on Mondays 7 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.
- Actively participate in service learning experiences and volunteer opportunities.
- Work in work teams to plan and implement initiatives.
- Create and facilitate educational workshops.
- Conduct quarterly class presentations.
- Assist the Sustainability Office host various campus events.
- Attend monthly one-on-one meetings with the Program Coordinator and Student Coordinator.
- Attend fall retreat in August and mid-year retreat in January.
- Must be a graduate or undergraduate student at NC State University
- Must be able to participate for a full academic year
- Enthusiastic and knowledgeable about sustainability
- Personal accountability, communication skills, creativity, organization skills
- Experience balancing multiple tasks, identifying and solving problems, and working collaboratively with team members
- Strong communication skills, including the ability to present to small groups, correspond respectfully with campus partners, write grant proposals, and share project outcomes
Applications are open to freshmen and transfer students during the fall semester and open to all students during the spring semester.
THE LATEST | More