The NC State University Sustainability Office was established in April 2008 to serve as a centralized resource of sustainability information and action for students, faculty and staff. Current responsibilities of the University Sustainability Office and its staff include:
- Be the hub for sustainability-related information and activities
- Foster collaboration that brings together people, ideas and resources
- Initiate programs and practices that integrate sustainability into the university
- Provide education and outreach to the campus and surrounding community about sustainability
- Communicate sustainability knowledge, progress and activities
- Support and coordinate the Sustainability Council
- Further efforts to meet the goals of the university’s Sustainability Strategic Plan and sustainability commitments
- Equip campus departments to envision and implement their unique contribution to sustainability
- Measure, assess and continually improve campus sustainability efforts
- Embed sustainability into NC State’s culture and traditions
- Coordinator the NC State Stewards student sustainability leadership program
Equipping the NC State community for a leaner, smarter, stronger future
A culture that creates leaders and sustainable solutions for global challenges
Real-world problems of environmental and economic stewardship, human health and well-being, and social equity are best solved when the boundaries of classroom, campus and community are dissolved. That’s why we utilize NC State’s campus as a living laboratory and model for experiential education, research and outreach that creates sustainable solutions for global challenges.
- Impact that improves communities and lives
- Stewardship of economic and natural resources
- Collaboration with interdisciplinary partners to do more together than alone
- Connections of people and ideas that weave together common threads and boost efficiency
- Experiential education that equips students for careers while improving campus
- Shared responsibility that recognizes interdependence and calls for action
- Innovation that addresses grand challenges of society and creates local and global prosperity
NEWS AND PROJECTS | More from the Sustainability Office
Net-Zero Near Antarctica
A unique building design competition provides NC State engineering students with real-world experience.
Certified Sustainable: University Housekeeping Showcases Innovation
NC State’s nearly 300 housekeepers clean campus more effectively and sustainably than ever, and University Housekeeping is looking to raise the bar even more.
Students Explore Environmental Justice
During spring break, 10 students and 2 staff advisers toured North Carolina to learn about environmental issues impacting soil, air, water and people.