The NC State University Sustainability Office was established in April 2008 to serve as a centralized resource of sustainability information and action for students, faculty and staff. Current responsibilities of the University Sustainability Office and its staff include:
- Be the hub for sustainability-related information and activities
- Foster collaboration that brings together people, ideas and resources
- Initiate programs and practices that integrate sustainability into the university
- Provide education and outreach to the campus and surrounding community about sustainability
- Communicate sustainability knowledge, progress and activities
- Support and coordinate the Sustainability Council
- Further efforts to meet the goals of the university’s Sustainability Strategic Plan and sustainability commitments
- Equip campus departments to envision and implement their unique contribution to sustainability
- Measure, assess and continually improve campus sustainability efforts
- Embed sustainability into NC State’s culture and traditions
- Coordinate the NC State Stewards student sustainability leadership program
Equipping the NC State community for a leaner, smarter, stronger future
A culture that creates leaders and sustainable solutions for global challenges
Real-world problems of environmental and economic stewardship, human health and well-being, and social equity are best solved when the boundaries of classroom, campus and community are dissolved. That’s why we utilize NC State’s campus as a living laboratory and model for experiential education, research and outreach that creates sustainable solutions for global challenges.
- Impact that improves communities and lives
- Stewardship of economic and natural resources
- Collaboration with interdisciplinary partners to do more together than alone
- Connections of people and ideas that weave together common threads and boost efficiency
- Experiential education that equips students for careers while improving campus
- Shared responsibility that recognizes interdependence and calls for action
- Innovation that addresses grand challenges of society and creates local and global prosperity
NEWS AND PROJECTS | More from the Sustainability Office
Oppong Hemeng Joins Sustainability Office
Earlier this semester, Oppong Hemeng joined the University Sustainability Office as a program specialist focused on student engagement.
Net-Zero Near Antarctica
A unique building design competition provides NC State engineering students with real-world experience.
Certified Sustainable: University Housekeeping Showcases Innovation
NC State’s nearly 300 housekeepers clean campus more effectively and sustainably than ever, and University Housekeeping is looking to raise the bar even more.