Everyone eats, and that’s why food matters. A growing global population and increasing food needs make the sustainable production of food all the more important. NC State features industry-leading research and highly-respected academic programs related to agriculture. These programs have a direct impact on North Carolina, where agriculture is the state’s largest industry.
pounds of produce grown at the NC State Agroecology Education Farm was used by NC State Dining last year.
What We Do
NC State Dining features award-winning sustainability programs focused on sourcing local food, water conservation, composting, recycling cooking oil and several other waste reduction initiatives.
Pollinators such as bees are vital to food supply, making their health paramount to sustainable food systems. Browse the campus sustainability map to see NC State’s actively-maintained bee hives or explore the university’s apiculture program.
There’s food no more local than food you grow yourself. Several community garden projects exist on campus, including the student-run SOL Garden, Learning Gardens, Agroecology Education Farm, herb gardens and several garden ideas in development.
An interdisciplinary group of staff, faculty and students are working to improve student food and housing security on campus. Feed the Pack is a community-run food pantry serving all NC State faculty, staff and students.
How You Can Help
1. Eat local food to support local farmers and reduce environmental impacts of food shipment.
2. Minimize food waste. An estimated 40% of the U.S. food supply is wasted annually.
FOOD NEWS | All Posts
Envisioning a More Equitable Food System
Doctoral candidate Christopher Gillespie is dedicated to finding solutions that create stronger, more racially equitable food systems.
From Distance Learning to Community Farming
Gabrielle Buchanan thrived in the CALS agricultural science distance education program, developing skills that now boost her role as a volunteer services coordinator at Raleigh’s Inter-Faith Food Shuttle.
Top 10 Campus Sustainability Moments of 2023
Explore University Sustainability Office’s top ten favorite moments that advanced campus sustainability in 2023.
NC State’s Cooperative Extension offers the following resources related to agriculture and food.
- Center for Environmental Farming Systems
- 10% Campaign encourages the purchase of at least 10 percent of food from NC farmers
- North Carolina Cooperative Extension offers numerous resources on agriculture and food, as well as beekeeping
The following opportunities are available on NC State’s campus:
- Buy directly from farmers at the Campus Farmer’s Market or nearby State Farmer’s Market
- SOUL Garden is a student-led organic garden that offers volunteer opportunities and the opportunity to learn about gardening
- Feed the Pack Food Pantry is a community-based initiative sustained by the greater NC State community to combat the food insecurity experienced by members of the Wolfpack family
- Agroecology Education Farm offers volunteer and educational opportunities
- Howling Cow dairy products from NC State are produced on campus and available for sale
- College of Agriculture and Life Sciences’ students have many student groups related to food.