Meet Emily Clark

Iceland: Intro to Renewable Energy with CSLEPS; Reykjavik, Iceland

I have always wanted to travel abroad and I knew being able to do so with a group of like-minded students around my age would enhance the experience.

I learned that I am held back by my fears of trying new things (like snorkeling in 36F water) but when I put my worries behind me and trust in the program I can see and experience so many wonderful new things.

I enjoyed meeting people from all over the country (and 1 from Canada). Getting to know them over 10 days and learning about why they decided to come to Iceland really enhanced the experience. I had such an amazing time with new friends and new experiences.

If you go on a study abroad with people you know, try to branch out and make new friends. When I went, there were quite a few other students from NC State which was great for having support before we left. Once we were there, I made sure to reach out to others and get to know new people to grow my network and to make new friends.

How were your classes abroad different than if you would have taken them at NC

State? Did you take any field trips or do anything outside of the traditional classroom?

The classroom experience was similar to what it would be at NC State, but the things we learned were very different. Iceland is a unique country with a lot of renewable energy, so we got to learn about the practical applications and then see where they are applied in industry. Going to visit hydropower and geothermal plants was amazing to connect what we saw in class to the real world. In addition to educational field trips, we also got to see the stunning beauty of Iceland and everything it has to offer and the culture and friendliness of the Icelandic people.

100 times over

This post was originally published in Study Abroad.