During Winter Holiday break, NC State will dial back temperatures in unoccupied campus buildings for the annual Holiday Energy Savings Initiative. The annual campus-wide initiative is led by Energy Management and has collectively avoided millions in energy costs over the past decade. Last year, the initiative resulted in $485,000 of avoided energy costs.
While the university is closed, Energy Management in partnership with Buildings and Operations, will utilize conservation measures including lowering building temperature setpoints, turning off unnecessary lights and equipment, and closing doors and windows to reduce energy consumption.
The campus community can help the university save energy by following these steps before leaving for Winter Holiday:
- Shutdown electronics/appliances and unplug power cords from the outlets (computers, faxes, printers, coffee makers, mini-refrigerators, etc.).
- In the lab, close nonactive fume hood sashes and power down nonessential lab equipment.
- Close windows and shut interior and exterior doors. Report windows and doors that are left open or unable to be closed to the Customer Service Center at 919-515-2991.
- Turn off lights in rooms that are not in use
- Report any leaky faucets or insecure water sources that may cause flooding to the Customer Service Center at 919-515-2991.
Research labs, animal facilities, and certain designated support spaces are excluded from the temperature set-point reduction. If you have questions about the Holiday Energy Saving Initiative, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the Holiday Energy Savings Initiative website.