At the state’s largest land-grant university, NC State Stewards are catalysts for transformation. These student ambassadors for sustainability are forward-thinkers who realize everyday sustainable actions can and must change the world.
Future Wolfpack generations depend on the sustainable actions of today’s students. That’s why NC State Stewards promote sustainable practices among their peers and the community through workshops, presentations and campus events. But most importantly, NC State Stewards are role models for other students, inspiring the campus community to consider the impact their decisions have on the environment, community and the future.
Supported by the University Sustainability Office, NC State Stewards are the university’s sustainability student champions, moving NC State to a brighter, stronger and more sustainable future. Students selected as 2013-2014 Stewards are:
Caroline Hansley (student coordinator)
Lead the Pack – Become an NC State Steward
- Must be a full or part time graduate or undergraduate student at NC State University.
- Must be able to participate for 1 full academic year (Fall 2013-Spring 2014).
- Must have a minimum 2.70 cumulative grade point average.
- Must be in good academic standing and have no active record of University Disciplinary Action at time of application or appointment.
- Participate for the full academic 2013-2014 school year.
- Work a minimum of 3 hours per week.
- Attend weekly group meetings.
- Attend initial training retreat.
- Meet semester requirements.
- Present yourself professionally as a role model for sustainability on campus.
Mission and Goals
The NC State Stewards program mission is to fulfill the vision of a more sustainable campus, community and world by encouraging individuals to adopt more sustainable practices. As the university’s student sustainability ambassadors, NC State Stewards are trained to promote sustainable actions on campus and among their peers so that environmental, social and economic responsibility is cultivated at NC State and beyond. Our goals are to:
- Educate the NC State community about socially, economically and environmentally responsibility.
- Inspire behavior change through peer-to-peer interaction
- Help the university to achieve carbon neutrality by 2050 through support and implementation of tactics outlined in the Sustainability Strategic Plan
|2013 NC State Stewards|
|Aaron Burkhart, Environmental Technology (Junior)|
|Lauryn Coombs, Environmental Technology (Sophomore)|
|Rachel Gonsalves, Environmental Design in Architecture (Junior), Steward Student Coordinator|
|Caroline Hansley, Interdisciplinary Studies (Junior)|
|Brian Iezzi, Textile Engineering (Sophomore)|
|Natalia Ospina, Psychology (Senior)|
NC State Stewards are supported by the University Sustainability Office:
Rachel Gonsalves, Student Coordinator, email@example.com
Rebekah Dunstan, Program Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org, 919.513.3873 (office)