From Classroom to Campus: NC State student leaves sustainable mark

Shaza Ibrahim has helped with sustainability projects on campus.
Shaza Ibrahim has helped implement sustainability projects on campus.

In the very place where Environmental Science major Shaza Ibrahim first explored environmental impacts, she’s making an impact. At NC State, this Charlotte native has applied classroom knowledge to real-life projects in both the University Sustainability Office and University Dining.

“I have learned things in many of my courses that have helped me to not only better myself and others, but also to have a positive impact on our environment,” she said. “We all play a major role in our long-term environmental effects. The first step is to educate ourselves on this matter and spread that knowledge to others.”

This academic year Shaza has done just that through University Dining, where she researched grants and waste audits, and the University Sustainability Office, where she has helped with sustainable campus development, including implementing thermal comfort surveys, creating inventories of campus cisterns, researching grants and helping two campus buildings work toward LEED certification for leadership in energy and environmental design.

For Shaza, who graduates in December 2013, these real-life projects are just the start of a career in sustainability.

“I hope to help others be of positive impact to our Earth,” she said. “Our short-term impacts on the environment most definitely affect our long-term viability and integrity.”