June 2 – 4, 2019
Raleigh, North Carolina at NC State University
The Atlantic Coast Conference leads the nation in collegiate athletics, academics and sustainability programs. The ACC Sports Sustainability Conference is an opportunity to unite and leverage these strengths to showcase our collective impacts, learn from our peers and create a national platform to magnify our winning traditions.
The 1st Annual ACC Sports Sustainability Conference is about creating the infrastructure to build this national platform for promoting sustainability in collegiate athletics.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
ACC members are encouraged to bring representatives from their school’s athletics department, sustainability and/or facilities department. Schools outside the ACC Conference are welcome to attend also.
Confirmed participants so far represent the following:
Participants from universities are Clemson University, Duke University, NC State University, University of Louisville, University of North Carolina, University of Notre Dame, University of Virginia, Wofford College, Wake Forest University, University of Pittsburgh, Syracuse University, Elon University, University of Colorado-Boulder, Georgia Tech, Western Kentucky University and Appalachian State University.
Company participants are Greenworks, Green For Life, Phase 3 Sports, Eco-Products and Spotlight Solar.
General Tickets: $175.00 / person
Student: $75.00 / student
Registration includes all conference sessions (including campus tours), welcome dinner on Sunday, June 2, breakfast and lunch on Monday, June 3 and Tuesday, June 4.
Registration Questions: Colleen Johnson, NC State Athletics
Sunday, June 2
Group discount rate is available at Lonnie Poole Golf Course for those who want to arrive early to play NC State’s Audubon-certified golf course. Call to reserve a tee time at (919) 833-3338 and request the “Sustainability Group” rate to receive $10 – $15 off the regular price (depending on tee time).
5 pm – 7 pm Welcome Reception and Dinner (The StateView Hotel)
Monday, June 3
7:30 am – 8 am Transportation from the StateView Hotel to Vaughn Towers if needed; meet in the lobby @ 7:45 am
Parking is free and available at Vaughn. From Trinity Road enter at Gate C and park adjacent to building.
8 am – 9 am Registration and Breakfast (Chancellor’s Suite of Vaughn Towers, Carter-Finley Stadium)
9 am – 9:15 am Welcome: Boo Corrigan – NC State Athletic Director
9:30 am – 12:30 pm Session I: Sustainable Athletic Operations (Dail Club of Vaughn Towers)
– Institutional Introduction
– Session Introduction: Oppong Hemeng (NC State) and Olivia Gambocarlo (UNC-CH)
– Topic I: Food and Dining, Purchasing and Waste Morgan Bachman (Duke), Olivia Gambocarlo (UNC-CH) and Travis Hitchcock, Ben
Habets and James Mitchener (Green for Life)
– Topic II: Air and Climate, Energy and Buildings Meg Lowe (Syracuse) and Oppong Hemeng (NC State)
10:45 am Networking Break
– Topic III: Transportation, Water and Grounds Donna Sada (Greenworks) and Meg Lowe (Syracuse)
– Closing: Oppong Hemeng (NC State)
12:30 pm – 1:15 pm Networking Lunch (Chancellor’s Suite of Vaughn Towers)
12:30 pm – 2 pm Greenworks Demonstration and Sponsor Exhibition(Vaughn Towers Parking Lot)
1:15 pm – 2 pm Athletic Facility Tour (Carter-Finley Stadium and Murphy Football Center)
Derek Liles (NC State Director of Athletic Turf)
2 pm – 5 pm Session II: Athletics as a Driver of Change (Dail Club of Vaughn Towers)
– Session Introduction: Lindsay Batchelor (NC State)
– The Power of Sport: Erik Distler and Garrett Wong (Green Sports Alliance)
– Mini Session I: Fan Engagement Dr. Jonathan Casper (NC State) and Dave Newport (Phase 3 Sports)
– Mini Session II: Wellness Dedee DeLongpré Johnston (Wake Forest)
– Mini Session III: Student-Athlete Community Service Michael Orton (Louisville)
3:30 pm Networking Break
– Session Introduction: Martin Barrett, NC State
– Sustainability Strategy within Athletics: Martin Barrett (NC State) and Dedee DeLongpré Johnston (Wake Forest)
– Closing remarks and Logistics: Lani St. Hill (NC State)
5:15 pm – 5:45 pm Transportation from Vaughn Towers to the StateView Hotel
6:30 pm – 8 pm Optional Group Dinner (Morgan Street Food Hall)
Tuesday, June 4
7:30 am – 9 am Light Breakfast (The StateView Hotel)
9 am – 9: 30 am Transportation from the StateView Hotel to Reynolds Coliseum; meet in the lobby @ 9:05 am
9:30 am – 12 pm Session III: ACC Sustainability Team (Reynolds Coliseum)
– Welcome: Lindsay Batchelor (NC State)
– Lessons Learned from the PAC 12: Dave Newport (Phase 3 Sports)
– Greenworks Video: Donna Sada (Greenworks)
– Power of the ACC Collective: Lindsay Batchelor and Oppong Hemeng (NC State)
10:30 am Networking Break
– ACC Conference Sports Sustainability Mission: Lindsay Batchelor and Oppong Hemeng (NC State)
– Mini Session on Next Steps: Lindsay Batchelor and Oppong Hemeng (NC State)
– Closing: Lindsay Batchelor and Colleen Johnson (NC State)
12 pm – 1:30 pm Networking Lunch (Reynolds Coliseum Grand Hall)
2 pm – 4 pm Campus Tours
– Tour Option 1: NC State Compost Facility and Research Cooperative and Agroecology Education Farm
Adam Bensley (Waste Diversion Coordinator) and Alison Reeves (Crop and Soil Sciences Manager)
– Tour Option 2: Reynolds Coliseum, Casey Aquatic Center and Doak Field/Derr Track
Bob Erickson (Assistant Athletic Director for Facilities, Operations and Capital Projects)
Transportation will be provided to the StateView Hotel after both lunch and the tours
Located on the shores of Lake Raleigh on NC State University’s Centennial Campus, The StateView Hotel provides guests with modern, hotel living steps away from NC State’s Lonnie Poole Golf Course and convenient access to Downtown Raleigh.
Location: 2451 Alumni Drive, Raleigh, NC 27606
Reservations: Book online or call 888-312-8002
Conference Questions: Lindsay Batchelor, NC State Sustainability
Conference Registration and Hotel Questions: Colleen Johnson, NC State Athletics
Conference Program and Agenda Questions: Oppong Hemeng, NC State Sustainability