College move-in day is an exciting time for students and families. Whether this is your first experience of living on campus or you are a returning student, you can have a successful move-in and reduce your environmental impact.
Here are our top 10 tips for your sustainable move-in packing list:
- Talk with your roommate about what items you want in your shared space. If you are both considering bringing a coffee maker, broom or television, don’t double up. Rather, compare and share!
- Bring the linens, blanket, pillow, towels and washcloths you are currently using from home. No need to buy new!
- Bring your own bottle, cups, cutlery and food containers. Choose materials that you can also throw into a backpack for on-the-go snacks and drinks.
- Choose bars over bottles to replace hand soap, shampoo and conditioner. Bars last longer and won’t leak during travel. Bonus: You’re reducing plastic waste.
- Choose a bamboo compostable toothbrush. NC State composts! Bonus: Check out zero waste options for toothpaste.
- Reduce your paper use and go digital using your Google calendar and suite of apps for scheduling and note-taking. If you do need supplies, be on the lookout for the free school supply bins put out by NC State Waste Reduction and Recycling each semester near Brooks Hall, Bragaw Residence Hall and ES King Village.
- If you have items that need batteries, choose rechargeables. They save money in the long run and prevent the need to go buy new ones off campus.
- A lamp is key for those late-night study sessions while your roommate is sleeping. Try an energy-efficient bulb in a used or thrifted lamp.
- Don’t forget your chargers and power strip with a surge protector. Look for “smart” strips that save energy.
- Plants, pictures and posters make the space homey…especially if you bring them from home!
Remember that you don’t need to have the perfect room on day one. Take your time to live in the space before deciding what is essential for your new den. If you do decide purchases are necessary, you can buy secondhand through NC State Surplus or the local thrift stores around campus.
Here are additional resources to make your move-in successful:
Save time, money and energy during move-in by packing with sustainability in mind. After you’ve moved in, rate your room and habits by taking the following quiz: How Sustainable Is Your Room?