Sustainable Senior Excellence

The Sustainability Stewards are student leaders who promote sustainable practices among the NC State community through workshops, presentations, projects and events. 

This spring semester, the University Sustainability Office is proud to recognize 10 Stewards who will be graduating soon. Each of them has uniquely contributed to sustainability in the classroom, across campus, and in their own lives. 

“Stewards has allowed me to meet and surround myself with some of the most wonderful, passionate people I’ve ever met. It’s really inspiring to be in a space with people who are constantly pushing you to think differently and to think bigger about what you are capable of,” said Sarah Coull, one of the graduating seniors. “I have no doubt that my Stewards experience has left me well-equipped to pursue a career in environmental engineering and public service. I am so incredibly grateful for all the people I’ve had the pleasure of meeting through this program.”

Major projects coordinated by the Stewards this year included hosting a Tri-Towers Energy and Water Competition, installing a Learning Garden on campus, forming a Sustainable Food Systems Team that created a food justice cookbook and cooking demonstrations, and holding a thrift store pop-up.

Meet the Graduating NC State Stewards

Julianna-Grace Agnini

Degree: Environmental Engineering

Hometown: Mooresville, North Carolina

Sarah Coull

Degree: Environmental Engineering

Hometown: Clayton, North Carolina

Benjamin Helms

Degree: Sustainable Materials and Technology

Hometown: China Grove, North Carolina

Sarah Lewis

Degree: Industrial Design

Hometown: Asheville, North Carolina

Miranda Olson

Degree: Business Administration

Hometown: Charlotte, North Carolina

Sarah Austin

Degree: Plant Biology

Hometown: Waxhaw, North Carolina

Shannon Dolan

Degree: Environmental Sciences

Hometown: Portland, Connecticut

Niambé James

Hometown: Clayton, N.C.

Daniel Ma

Degree: Industrial Design and Business

Hometown: Cary, North Carolina

Vie Villafuerte

Degree: Environmental Engineering

Hometown: Arequipa, Peru

Thank you Stewards for all the ways — known and unknown — that you contributed to advancing sustainability at NC State. Your leadership will continue to pave the way for a sustainable campus and for the NC State Stewards that follow you.