1) What is CEST? What do they do?
Campus Environmental Sustainability Team
2) What is NC State doing to reduce its climate impact?
Climate Action Plan
3) Can we get rid of leaf blowers?
At this time, no viable alternative is available that would not increase the amount of money and labor it takes to remove leaf debris on campus.
Buildings & Land Use
What is LEED Certification? Does NC State have LEED-certified buildings?
1) Former Chancellor Oblinger signed a commitment in 2008 stating that all new buildings would strive for LEED Silver certification. Check out LEED projects in progress.
1) How do I get involved?
2) How do I get involved with sustainability student groups?
NC State’s passionate students have formed several groups and committees to tackle campus sustainability challenges. We encourage you to get in involved with one of the many groups making a positive impact on campus.
Energy & Water
1) How much does NC State spend on utilities every year, including electric, natural gas, fuel oil and water?
In fiscal year 2012 NC State’s utility bill was $30,366,997.
2) What is the one thing I can do to help save energy when I’m on campus?
Turn off the lights when you leave a classroom, office or lab.
3) What is the one thing I can do to help save energy and increase safety in a laboratory?
Shut the fume hood sash when not in use.
4) Do we have solar projects on campus?
Solar projects on campus
2) Does the University offer a free transit pass for reaching off-campus destinations?
Yes – the university’s GoPass program offers free transit passes to faculty, staff and students to use the city’s Capital Area Transit (CAT) and regional Triangle Transit buses to access destinations through Raleigh and the greater Triangle area. GoPasses can be picked up at the NCSU Transportation office; a campus ID must be presented in order to receive a free pass.
3) Is there direct bus service to RDU Airport or the Raleigh Amtrak station?
Yes – with a GoPass, you can easily access RDU Airport and Amtrak station via bus. Triangle Transit Route 100 bus picks up passengers along Hillsborough Street and drops off at Terminal 1 and 3 at the airport. Several CAT and Triangle Transit Routes serve the downtown Raleigh Amtrak station. To find routes and times, visit the GoTriangle Trip Planner and simply type NC State University in the “start location” box and Amtrak Station – Raleigh in the “end location” box.
4) Does NC State have a bikes available for rent on campus?
WolfWheels offers bike rentals through University Recreation located at Carmichael Gym.
5) How do I find the best bus route to the destination of your choice?
In addition to Google Transit maps, GoTriangle Transit Trip planner allows users to not only plot the best transit routes, but also find time-sensitive route information so you can make it to your destination on time.
6) Do we have a car sharing program on-campus?
Waste Reduction & Recycling
1) Does NC State compost?
Yes. All food waste from the dining halls is collected and processed at a private composting facility. All yard waste is composted at a university site off Lake Wheeler Road.
2) What can you recycle on-campus?
A-Z Recycling Guide
3) Why aren’t recycling bins in every room on-campus?
The goal is to have central recycling sites within buildings to create consistency across campus. The goal on outdoor walkways is to pair recycling bins with trash cans.